Friday, January 25, 2013

Ramblings

As I prepare to write, a bit of stress lifts from my body.  I knew I needed to type.  I was being stubborn about finding a comfortable way to make it happen.  I need to type to sort out the plethora of thoughts in my brain that I just know are somehow connected. 

What thoughts are in my brain?  Frustration. I feel fat and tired.  I miss my husband even though he is in town.  I desire to know God's word and where I stand in my belief on certain subjects but can't seem to find the time to study.  I know I need to spend way more time on relationships but can't figure out how to make that work either.  It is in relationships and caring for others that the love of Jesus can be spread.  Yet I can't spread love when I am grumpy.  So, I know I need to take better care of myself.  And here I am again.  This is a thought I have had at least once a week since Christmas.  How do I fit in time to take care of myself?  And what would it look like to care for myself?

If I was properly taking care of myself, I would eat healthy meals and snacks.  I would be exercising at least 5 times per week.  I would be showering every other day (unless I get really dirty or sweaty).  I think it would be easier if I showered every day but I am not sure how my hands would hold up with the extra dryness.  I would wash my hair two or three times a week.  This would require either blow drying and styling it or leaving plenty of time for it to dry naturally before bed.  I would drink 5 quarts of water a day.  I would go to bed by 10.  I would spend 30 to 60 minutes per day in prayer, meditation, and Bible reading.  I would floss and brush twice a day.  So,  I see that sleep, exercise, water, healthy foods, prayer/ meditation are the areas that came up first. 

Other things I need for self care: friends, laughter, sunshine.  I would like clothes that fit well, weekly bath time, weekly or at least monthly alone time with no guilt. 

How do I make the basics happen?  Eating healthy snacks or meals means planning and buying what I need to eat.  And keeping the things I don't want in my body out of the house.  Exercising?  That is a tough one.  I am not sure when the best time is for this.  I would like for the boys to get some exercise too.  Yet, trying to all exercise at the same time usually backfires on me.  A daily walk at a certain time seems like an option.  It's just that our routine gets interrupted so often.  A daily shower or self care after dinner each night sounds good but I don't want to leave everyone else with dinner cleanup.  Options: morning before Jeff (6:30), morning after Jeff (7:00), afternoon (4:30), evening (8:00 or whenever we get home.  I like evening the best because I never know what the morning will hold and it gives time for my hair to dry.  Washing my hair: Thursday, Saturday, Monday.  Water: set a timer and respond to it.   Prayer/ Meditation: before bed (15 minutes), morning (15 minutes), lunch time (15-30 minutes).  Floss and brush: make a morning checklist.

It's a start. 


No comments: