Wednesday, July 19, 2017

Learn One New Thing Everyday?

For so long, I have been on a path to learn, to grow a little everyday.  Let me tell you, it has been exhausting!  I read this today from the book, From The Mixed-Up Files Of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler by E. L. Konigsburg :

"...I think you should learn, of course, and some days you must learn a great deal.  But you should also have days when you allow what is already in you to swell up inside of you until it touches everything.  And you can feel it inside you.  If you never take time out to let that happen, then you just accumulate facts, and they begin to rattle around inside of you.  You can make noise with them, but never really feel anything with them.  It's hollow."

I have reached a time in life where I realize I want to soak up life, not just learn about a better or more efficient way to do things.  Those cool ideas about how to teach my children, which method of writing instruction is the best, which science and math they need before they graduate, and lists of things they need to know before they leave home often spin around inside me like a dryer tumbling the clothes.  Problem is I have so many ideas and so much information in the "dryer" that I sometimes burn up with guilt over not following through on them or making sure I know more about them. Instead I want to give myself time to let the peaceful, honoring, relationship nurturing ideas swell up inside of me.  I want to be happy with what I know I know and how well those things work for me. God has given me everything I need for life and godliness.  I will let the joy of that assurance brim over in my life to propel me to feel and experience what I already know, what I already have right in front of me and right inside of me.

No comments: