Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Expectations and Purpose

Expectations are important to know.  At least they are for me.  When I know what is expected of me I feel a sense of purpose and thus relief in my spirit.  One less unknown in my life remains.

 I don't enjoy unknowns.  Well, mostly I don't.  I like surprises.  But surprises aren't unknown in the sense that I have one extra thing to think about.  Which makes me wonder why don't I treat what I don't know as a surprise awaiting my discovery.  Maybe I would peacefully let more things free to wander from my mind until that great moment that I discover them again.  However, when it comes to what someone expects of me, I don't want to be surprised.  I want to be equipped to reach my full potential.  I want a goal to reach towards.

God's expectations of me are far beyond my reach.  Jesus said in Matthew to be perfect.  Often times I wonder what exactly does that mean.  How can I possibly be perfect?  I haven't come to a theological answer on this yet.  I am uncertain that this is something I am to fully understand in this life.  I know that I am to strive to meet his expectations.  I know he loves me as I am trying.  I know his grace covers the distance between my imperfection and the perfection he wants from me.  So, I will press on each day towards perfection while receiving large portions of grace.  I will rest in knowing that he is cheering as I grow towards meeting those expectations.  I will also spend some time seeking what other expectations he has for me. Although I have not attained perfection, I believe God sees me clothed in the body of Jesus who is perfection.  In Jesus I have perfection.

I want to extend the same grace given to me by the blood of Jesus to my family and friends.  While I have expectations for them, I choose to delight in their pursuit of those and cheer them on as they work toward them.  I choose to make my expectations clear in a loving way.  I choose to focus on the positive, turning the negatives over to God in prayer for or with that individual.  I choose to remember that they really don't have to meet my expectations at all.  In reality, I shouldn't be expecting anything thing of them.  I should be living my life in a way that directs them to meet the expectations of God.  Hmmmm.  I think I have some more thinking and some behavior changing (my own behavior) to do. 




No comments: