Wednesday, July 17, 2019

What I'm Learning 7/17/19 - Mindset

I've decided this summer to learn more about mindset based on following another blogger - https://mercyisnew.com/ - who has been posting to instagram and on her blog.  Today I started reading 2 new books : The 4:8 Principle by Tommy Newberry and Mindset by Carol S. Dweck, Ph.D.  I am also began watching a documentary: Transcendence Episode 3: Beyond Belief on FMTV.  As I read and watch, my mind is very stimulated and excited at the immense power of our thoughts.  I actually am reluctant to write my thoughts down because I don't want to have to think through them.  But I am challenging myself to do it anyway because "The same level of thinking that has created the problem (not sharing all the good information I am learning which is able to help me and others grow), won't solve the problem." - Albert Einstein

So, what have I been learning?  Nothing too new for me but possibly life changing if I will allow myself to ponder it and act on it and share it with others.  So here are some tidbits that I received today:

When frustrated about all I can't do, make a list of 21 things I can do.

Joy is an outward sign of my inward faith in trusting the promises of God. He has promised to give me what I need and to be with me.  That is pure joy!  Do I let that joy flow out when I worry?  No.  Something else entirely comes out - fear, anger, disappointment, low energy. 

Every thought sends electrical and chemical signals throughout every cell of my body.  What messages am I sending my body right now?  Will these messages, these thoughts produce life or death? health or sickness? Joy or sadness?

My thoughts are always showing.  My actions, my facial expressions, my reactions tell what kind of thoughts are happening.  So, when someone assumes I feel a certain way and I am offended, maybe I should stop and consider what thoughts are going through my mind that may be showing up on my face even if it has nothing to do with the person in front of me.

Disciplining myself mentally requires time and effort.  I am willing to put in the effort to gain the transformation of the renewing of my mind that Paul talked of in Romans 12:2. 

I desire to direct my thoughts in the deliberate direction of remembering and maintaining trust in the God who cherishes me.  This will allow peace and joy to flow through me.

It is worth the effort and time it will take to find the programs running in my brain that have been creating limiting beliefs in my life.  I will ask the hard questions and take time to answer them.

I have considered myself to be growth minded but today I have been challenged.  I have been holding on to beliefs such as "Science isn't my thing." or "Washing and cutting up veggies and fruit is time consuming and won't fill me up anyway."  and blamed the "facts" for not reaching my goals.  I have spent a lot of time not doing or trying things because I want to be right or have things work out perfectly in the name of being cautious and careful.  This is not growth mindset.  I won't grow and attain some of the things I want if I don't examine these thoughts.  So, examining my thoughts is what I plan to do. 

Some questions I will consider:
What meaning am I giving to the tough parts of my life?
What do I want to be, to do, to have, to share?
What have I been wanting but hasn't come true for many years?
What beliefs, values, and identities have I grasped firmly to that might be stunting my growth?
What problems do I have and how can I think about them differently?

No comments: